Saturday, April 13, 2013

Snowy Saturday

Lovely spring day here in Grand Traverse County!  There’s about two inches of fresh white “mulch” on the ground, not exactly pea planting weather.  I guess that’s the only new material my garden will be getting for a while, as compost deliveries to our area have been delayed by weather issues.  I felt sorry for this mourning dove cooing its heart out on my collapsed asparagus plants this morning.

August 2012 Treats
Today I’m starting tomato and pepper plants in cell trays, 48 cells in all including a few plants each of several varieties of tomatoes.  I’ll start a few more in a week or so, but at the moment, that will be all the plants my small planting area can handle.  My favorites for snacking straight off the vines are  those sugar-sweet SunGold hybrids, which produced up to about 300 one-inch morsels per plant last year.  The best of the large slicers was West Virginia Sweetmeat, an heirloom variety I obtained from fellow blog contributor Mike Kiessel a couple years ago.  He gave me a two-pound tomato from which I saved the seed—a great thing to share. 

1 comment:

  1. How dismal to see snow and hear birds chirping at the same time! Great blog, and I have to say my West Virginia Sweetmeat tomatoes are doing very well. Planted in seed flats on March 29, and transferred to 38-cell trays April 14.

    ReplyDelete